Friday, February 17, 2012

Sam Witwer Officially Confirmed as Darth Maul for Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Actor Clancy Brown (Savage Opress) is a little disturbed by Sam Witwer's performance as Darth Maul.

Lets start with the new preview video from TCW recording sessions from MTVGeek , which includes some minor spoilerish lines from upcoming episodes of TCW.


Get More: MTV Shows

Just when you think Obi-Wan Kenobi's "Season of Pain" couldn't get any worse, now he is going to have at least half of what used to be a Sith Lord out for revenge.

There is some great snippets of dialogue in the above clip, including Darth Maul going bonkers, Darth Maul reciting the Sith Code, and what appears to be Savage Opress attempting to stoke his brother's anger to help give his broken mind something to focus on and anchor it.  The most interesting question is, does Savage Opress actually care about Maul? Or is Savage Opress just attempting to help Maul so that he can learn from him and use him and then discard him?  We are in for a wild ride on TCW.

The Sith Code for those unfamiliar with it via Wookieepedia:


Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.


Some links on how news of Witwer's rumored role first appeared:

June 22, 2011: Where we at Lightsaber Rattling let you know Witwer would be returning to TCW in Season Four in an undisclosed role, based on a San Antonio newspaper report.

September 27, 2011: The Star Wars Report Podcast's Interview Transcript with Sam Witwer from DragonCon 2011 where he first spilled the beans regarding returning to TCW.


Sam Witwer: I am currently, as we speak, working on episodes, many episodes for a character that I have not played… well… it’s… what can I say without getting fired?
Riley: We don’t want you to get in trouble or anything.
Sam Witwer: I’m told the announcement is gonna happen in a couple months.
Riley: Nice tease!
Sam Witwer: It’s an amazing character.  It is an amazing, amazing character.  I’ll put it to you this way.  I was driving over to a buddy’s house and Dave Filoni calls me up, gets me on the phone, and he says, “Listen, so we want you to come back to work and we need you to play…” and he tells me the character’s name.  And I almost had a car accident.  And he says, “Can you do it?”  And I’m like yes.  And then I worried about later whether I could do it or not.  But I was like yes, yes, I will do that.  So it is a tremendous opportunity and I can’t wait for you guys to find out about it.
October 15, 2011: Where Nuke the Fridge claimed to have an unnamed source confirming that Witwer would be voicing Maul in Season Four.


SPECULATION:

Witwer mentioned in his interview with Riley, that he was working on not just  a few episodes, but "many episodes" for Darth Maul.  This isn't going to be a villain of the week return, Maul won't be a a one arc and done character, it sounds like his story will continue at least into Season Five of The Clone Wars and possibly beyond.  To that I just what to say, Heck Yeah!

For a slightly dated speculation post on what role Maul could play in The Clone Wars,  please read this article I wrote after the Savage Opress trilogy screening last year.  The Clone Wars: Galactic Balance of Power after Savage Opress (SPOILERS) (written 1/23/11).

As always stay tuned to Lightsaber Rattling for all the latest TCW news and analysis.

Source: MTV Geek


2 comments:

  1. I saw Darth Mual in 3D and... I can't wait for his return to star wars!!! I don't know why I never found this site before this... after all my hours on star wars bogger :/ Well... hi :)That guy's gunna be Darth Maul? What a pair :/ Awesome post and looking forward to more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Solace Utara, I hope you stop by occasionally and read my musings.

    ReplyDelete